In the latter part of the nineteenth century about 1895, God used Sister Beatrice Sapp as a shepherd who started a prayer meeting in her home in the Elyton community. The community is only a few miles from the location where the saints decided to build a worship place. The church was first known as The Church of God of Birmingham. In the same location they were known as The Mortimer Street Church of God and later as The Fifth Street Church of God.
During the early years, the congregation had several leaders who later impacted the life of the church nationally.
The congregation moved to the current location in North Birmingham in 1974 becoming Northside Church of God, and later under the third pastorate of Henry R. Williams experienced growth and significant community impact. In 1990, our 12TH and current pastor, Derrol Dawkins M.D. began to serve and lead the congregation into a time of steady growth and revitalization. With the assistance and support of his lovely and talented wife, Patricia, the congregation is poised for continued significant ministry in the community and city. The church has made significant contributions to the life of the surrounding community as well as impacting many lives for Christ and His Kingdom. Several leaders from the congregation have gone on to serve as pastors locally, in the state as well as across the nation. In a continued effort to be sensitive to God’s direction the congregation most recently has become New Start Covenant of Grace reflecting our conviction that “if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation, the old is gone the new has come.” We are committed to obeying the Great Commandment to love God and one another as well as reaching and teaching others to do the same thus fulfilling the Great Commission through our various ministries.
TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!